As a community of teachers and scholars, CALICO members promote the study and innovative teaching of language through a variety of electronic and digital media. Freedom of inquiry is essential to our ability to embrace this enterprise. However, such freedom carries with it the responsibility of professional conduct in all our interactions with each other, with the profession, and with society at large.
This statement is intended to express reasonable expectations for responsible and ethical conduct by all members of the CALICO community.
CALICO members commit to the following principles:
- Respect all cultures and languages.
- Promote the spirit of inclusion, tolerance, and collegiality and thus avoid rejudicial, inflammatory, and/or derogatory language.
- Treat all scholars, students, teachers, and practitioners with respect at all times, regardless of differing backgrounds, opinions, or beliefs.
- Follow the best practices of Institutional Review Boards and other governing boards in the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data.
- Treat research participants – who freely share their views and data with us – with respect at all times.
- Respect all scholarly work and do not tolerate plagiarism or other academic improprieties.
- Reject sexual harassment in any form or in any environment.